

Bhopal, May 20 (IANS) In a major relief to farmers, the Madhya Pradesh government has extended the wheat procurement deadline till May 28 for all those who had booked their slots by May 23.
Chief Minister Mohan Yadav made the announcement on May 20, reaffirming his government’s strong commitment to farmers’ welfare.
Addressing the media, Mohan Yadav said that despite slot bookings, many farmers were facing difficulties due to long queues at procurement centres.
“We have decided that wheat from every farmer who successfully booked a slot will be purchased. The deadline is now being extended from May 23 to May 28,” he stated.
The Chief Minister highlighted that this year has been declared as the ‘Year of Farmers’ Welfare’ by the state government.
Under this spirit, the state is set to achieve a record procurement of 100 lakh metric tonnes of wheat, significantly higher than last year’s 77 lakh metric tonnes.
So far, the state has already procured 91 lakh metric tonnes, putting it on track to break its own record.
CM Yadav said that Madhya Pradesh has procured wheat from the highest number of farmers in the country.
“Our government is consistently taking pro-farmer decisions. We stand firmly with our farmers,” he asserted.
Acknowledging the various challenges, the Chief Minister said that despite global issues, difficulties in storage, procurement of gunny bags, adverse weather conditions, and transportation hurdles, the state has successfully expanded its storage capacity.
He appealed to farmers not to worry, assuring them that the slot-booking system is being effectively managed to ensure smooth procurement.
The government is offering Rs 2,625 per quintal for wheat at procurement centres. Mohan Yadav said that under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, his government is committed to the welfare of four important sections of society — farmers, the poor, women, and the youth.
–IANS
sktr/pgh




